Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Evan

Evan decided to join our family on May 9th, Mothers Day, at 10:47 am. I started having painful contractions about 4:30 in the morning that were 10 minutes apart. I told Jon we had to hurry and go to the hospital. We grabbed Shawn and our bags and left. By the time we got to the hospital the contractions were about 3 minutes apart.
They took me to the observation room and the nurse checked my progress. She took me straight to a labor and delivery room instead of monitoring me there because I was already to a 6 by that point. They brought my epidural right away and the nurse was still taking my info and doing the adim. stuff while I was getting my epidural.
I think that slowed things down a bit, which they were very happy about because they wanted me to get two doses of the strep B antibiotic. They couldn't give me the second dose until a little after 10:00 am. They broke my water right after I got that dose and then I quickly went to a 10. I had to push 5 times to get Evan out, which was twice as many times as with Shawn. :) Jon says that I make having a baby look too easy. I try to remind him that even though I didn't feel all the pain, my body still went through the experience. The recovery is always the hard part for me.
Evan weighed 7 lbs 14 oz and was 20 inches long. He is a pretty adorable little boy if I do say so myself. He didn't have a cone head or any weird things from the delivery. He is a little sweetheart and hardly cries at all. I am probably just jinxing myself by saying that.
Shawn didn't know what to think the first day when he came to see us. He didn't like seeing me strapped to machines and sitting in the hospital bed. However, now that we are home he is so happy to have this little baby around. He always wants to hold him and he gives his little brother lots of kisses. While I was pregnant Shawn kept saying that he wanted the baby's name to be Marshmallow Face. Now he refers to the baby as Evan Marshmallow Face or Marshmallow Face Evan. At least he was willing to compromise. :)
Evan's first photo
He was not happy for the first 5 minutes of life

My three boys
Happy Mother's Day to me

Close up

Last day in the hospital
Settled in for the car ride home
First night home

9 comments:

James Knab said...

Heather, he is adorable!!!! Thank you so much for posting pictures! We can't wait to meet him!

Brooke Imlay Scheurer said...

Congratulations. It looks like everyone is doing well. Heather especially! You look fab, just after having a baby.

Diane Owen said...

So sweet! That is a great mother's day! I'm glad everything went so well and so quickly. We should get together sometime when you've had a little time to adjust and recover! Congrats!!

Laura Robins said...

YEAH! He is so cute! And I must say that you would never know you just had a baby in any of those pictures...but then again you have always been a super photogenic person. We are coming to UT the end of June and I would love to get together! Let me know after you can think like a normal person again. :)

Ashley Smith said...

Congrats Heather! He IS so cute! What a special Mother's Day too.

Clayton, Jen, and Millie said...

He is just so precious! He is such a gorgeous little guy! Congratulations Heather! I love you and your cute little family!

Rosie said...

What a perfect mothers day present! He's a cutie and you look fabulous!

Melinda said...

Hooray for darling baby Evan!!! Congratulations to your cute family! I'm such a slacker, Claire's been begging to come visit! ;)

Maria said...

What is your deal? You look great after walking 3 miles in a downpour...okay, I can deal with that, but looking that good after giving birth is just rude...