Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sweet Atticus

This is little, sweet Atticus. He passed away in his sleep on July 17th. He was Carver's best friend and his first playdate. Atticus was born almost exactly a month after Carver. His amazing mama, Jen and I were excited to be pregnant at the same time and to have little boys so close in age. I wasn't home when it happened. When Jon called and told me, I just kept saying, "You can't be right. They are working on him at the hospital or something. He can't really be gone. Please don't be right." I hardly slept for days and cried constantly. I haven't felt that kind of pain and sadness since I lost my mom.

Atticus comes from an awesome family. The kind of family that you try to emulate. The kind of family that anyone would be lucky to be a part of. Atticus couldn't have had a better family to spend his nearly 5 months on Earth with and eventually eternity with. I am so sad he is gone. I am very grateful for the Plan of Salvation. Even though it doesn't bring him back now and even if there is still incredible pain associated with the loss of such a darling little boy, there is that glimmer of hope and knowledge that Atticus will be reunited with his family. They will see and hold him again.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Heather, thanks for writing this! I am so grateful to you and your family for all of the love and support. Leah was asking me the other day about all of the specifics of the millennium and I was really struggling with how to answer some of them- we keep assuring the kids that Heavenly Father's plan for Atticus is BEYOND perfect and will replace all of the loss and sorrow we feel right now. Leah wanted to specifically know how Heavenly Father was going to make things right with how we wanted Carver and Atticus to grow up together. I just had to tell her a thousand years is a really long time and at some point it would all just be fine and they could be the best of buddies again. We love you guys so much. I hope you don't mind sharing Carver with us, we are just going to enjoy watching him grow up so much. I will always think of him as being in Atticus's "boys club" and it is going to be a joy to us to see him grow! I know one day those boys are going to run around together. :) Love you guys.